Monday, January 12, 2009

birth of a blog

admittedly i am not much of a blogger. i'm certainly not one of those people with infinite energy and drive, even though i wish i were. my general purpose blog had no focus and i had no real interest in updating it. so, i've decided to start a blog with more focus and about something i really care about. hence a blog about do-it-yourself (diy) projects entitled: make stuff/do stuff. i want this to be a place where i can share my experiences in diy. a place where i can post my successes and failures, share ideas, showcase other do-it-yourselfers, and get feedback.

here is my mini-manifesto on diy in convenient list form:

why i love diy...

1. it feels good to make stuff
2. less consumerism
3. it's an excellent creative outlet
4. ability to have/wear/use something unique
5. ability to recycle/re-task/renew objects and materials
6. the diy community is much more enjoyable than the mall
7. it's an opportunity to teach, learn, and share
8. people have to pretend to like something if you make it for them

one day i'd like to start a diy studio/workshop. it would be a space that facilitates diy in the community. the concept is a shop with the space, tools, supplies, and a little know-how for people to build a wide variety of projects. there are similar spaces such as blim, which is an amazing place that is mostly an arts and crafts workshop. there are also spaces such as techshop that provide higher end equipment and cater mostly to hobbyists.

so, in the meantime i'm trying to involve myself in as many diy projects as possible. potential and on going projects include:

-screen/gocco printing
-sewing
-electronics
-pottery
-woodworking
-welding
-knitting/crochet
-book binding
-vacuum forming
-zines

3 comments:

Patti Hill said...

Love the blog! The trend back toward dyi is satisfying and resourceful. Your grandmother made her own clothes by hand, and everything I wore up to about 1982, she made for me or I made myself. We made all of our Christmas gifts, too.

You're taking it all a step further by using recycled materials, which is an old idea reborn. I would say that post-WWII to present have been singularly days of disposable goods. Am I wrong? I think quilting, especially in pre-WWII American history typifies the resourcefulness of people unwilling to waste something as utilitarian as a flour sack, but who willed the flour sack to become something more--art?

I'm anxious to see your growing gallery.

turquoisepeanut said...

what is vacuum-forming? I'm picturing a crazed mad scientist thing going on here.

geoff said...

vacuum forming is heating up thin plastic sheets and then drawing them over a mold using a vacuum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhajk_IDTUo