Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fun with the ZA50 Engine



I've actually done a lot of work on my 1979 Puch Maxi(affectionately named: Bettina) over the last few weeks, but I've been too lazy to document any of it. Mostly I was having issues with the first-gear clutch wanting to engage at idle (despite a REALLY low idle speed). This causes the bike to jump around a bit while I'm sitting at stop signs. Sometimes it's bad enough that it will stall the engine. So, I took apart the clutch/transmission following the wiki from Mopedarmy.com.

While I was taking apart the clutches I wanted to also check the shift dampers (pucks). I had bought some new ones a while back and I had never checked whether or not the original pucks were still good. Anyway, the dampers are inside the second-speed gear. Unfortunately you can't see them without taking off these two plates that are held together by three flat-head bolts. Two came out with minimal effort, but one gave me a huge headache. I ended up having to do quite a bit of dremel surgery in order to get it out. I wanted to put in some hex heads, but my little local hardware store only had phillips head, which is still a minor upgrade.




So, after all the angst associated with getting that one bolt out, it turns out the pucks were in perfect condition... At least they'll be easier to check in future.

Other updates:

- Down-jetted because of the colder weather, plus I was already running a little rich
- Chased all 6 of the tapped holes (M6) for fastening the clutch cover.
- Transmission fluid was leaking from one of the bolts, so I sealed it with some Yamabond.

My new toy:

No comments: